Advanced Search

Arch

Artist/Maker: Mino da Fiesole (Italy, ca. 1430-1484)

Date: 1461
Medium: stone
Dimensions:
Overall: 42 1/2 x 85 1/2 in. (108 x 217.2 cm)
Classification: Architectural Elements
Credit Line: Gift of The Samuel H. Kress Foundation
Object number: 61.039.000
DescriptionMino da Fiesole’s marble arch was originally part of the multi-story monument consisting of a tabernacle with an altar that was erected in the Roman church of Santa Maggiore in 1461/4 and dismantled in the late sixteenth century. Commissioned by the wealthy and powerful French Cardinal Guillaume d’Estouteville, the tabernacle-altar was located in the middle of the east aisle of the church in front of the Chapel of the Praesepio (the holy crib of Christ) and housed the prestigious relics of St. Jerome. In addition to the decoration on the arch of the Annunciate Angel and Annunciate Virgin, the monument was decorated with four narrative reliefs with scenes from the life of St. Jerome, currently in the collection of the Palazzo Venezia in Rome, emphasizing his erudition and sanctity as one of the premier theologians of the early Christian church. Among the many sculptural projects undertaken by Mino da Fiesole and his workshop in Florence and Rome, the Lowe arch is the only example in the United States of his mastery of architectural design and refined carving techniques.
On view
In Collection(s)